AI May Help Lung Cancer Screening: Study – Know the Symptoms, Causes & Ways of Prevention
- Artificial intelligence (AI) is evolving and helping people in various fields
- Lung and cardiovascular diseases are among the leading causes of death in the world
- A new study shows how AI could help with lung cancer and cardiovascular disease screening
New Delhi: According to a study published in Nature called “Deep learning predicts cardiovascular disease risks of lung cancer screening with low-dose computed tomography”, showed that using AI (artificial intelligence), lung cancer and cardiovascular health can be screened through the use of low-dose computed tomography. This can greatly contribute to reducing the risk of developing lung and cardiovascular disease in individuals. The study was the result of a joint effort between Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute and Massachusetts General Hospital.
AI and lung cancer
according to pronunciations reported in Rensselear News, Pingkun Yan, a member of the Center for Biotechnology and Interdisciplinary Studies (CBIS) at Rensselaer, said: ‘In this article, we show very good performance of a deep learning algorithm in identifying patients with cardiovascular disease. vascular diseases and predicting their mortality risks, showing promise in turning low-dose CT lung cancer screening into a dual screening tool,”
Deepak Vashishth, director of CBIS, said: “This innovative research is a great example of the ways in which bioimaging and artificial intelligence can be combined to improve and deliver patient care with greater precision and safety”,
Lung Cancer – Causes and Symptoms
Smoking is one of the leading causes of lung cancer. Some other common causes and risk factors of lung cancer include genetics and exposure to pollutants, radiation, and carcinogens. The most common symptoms of lung cancer include shortness of breath, persistent cough, wheezing, chest pain, hoarse voice, and weight loss. Severe symptoms may include blood in the mucus, facial swelling, and loss of appetite.
Tips to improve lung health
Here are some ways to improve lung health and prevent lung disease:
- Do breathing exercises to strengthen your lungs.
- Avoid exposure to pollutants as it can harm your lungs. This also includes secondhand smoke, factory pollutants and traffic exhaust.
- Have a balanced diet to develop a healthy immune system and reduce the risk of infections.
- If you smoke, stop smoking or try not to. Cigarettes significantly increase the risk of developing lung cancer.
- Keep up with your health exams and doctor appointments to ensure a healthy body.
Disclaimer: Tips and suggestions mentioned in the article are for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as professional medical advice. Always consult your doctor or a dietitian before starting any fitness program or changing your diet.